In May of 1968, the South Wisconsin District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod extended a Divine Call to Reverend T.J. Schneider to serve as Missionary-at-Large to the Southwest section of Oshkosh. On September 1,1968, 85 people participated in the initial service.
January 1969, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church was officially organized. By May 1970 its new church home at 1760 West 7th Avenue was dedicated. Reverend Schneider served Good Shepherd until June of 1973. During the following 22 years, the congregation continued to grow and on January 1, 1991 Good Shepherd was no longer a mission church but gained independence from synodical support.
As membership at Good Shepherd increased a larger worship and fellowship building was needed. In 1992, the congregation began the purchase of the St. Rapheal facility. The original Good Shepherd church building was sold in July 1993 and members walked though the doors of their new home at 2450 West 9th Avenue.